Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Levelland, TX, you are going to soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 per year making it right there with the highest paying medical-related vocations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Levelland, TX
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to decide on a training program, it is important to consider all of your options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be reassured you will learn about the full array of techniques needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders therefore it is very important that your schooling is very diversified rather then too focused on a particular discipline.
Another very important factor you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, it is where you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to the other schools. In cases where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes will vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online training courses can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are often times driven aside as students undertake their education and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue that you should take a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Levelland, TX
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Certificate in Trauma
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers must become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to include many forms to complete. Never buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted websites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will need you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who have needs which may be very different the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with kids that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, as there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Levelland, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Levelland, TX reviewed by Parker ROSS on June 2.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.