After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lighthouse Point, FL, you will soon see that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year which makes it one of the highest paying healthcare occupations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lighthouse Point, FL
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to choose a school, it is very important to think about all of your options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident you will be taught the full range of techniques required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of ailments and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very extensive and not too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to other schools. In situations where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of your class will vary greatly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online training can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are frequently driven aside as students pursue their schooling and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you might like to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Always find out how many trainees finish the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Lighthouse Point, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administered by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to include several forms to fill out. You should not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy sites. It is important to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients which have needs which are often different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, because there will be plenty of instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Lighthouse Point, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lighthouse Point, FL reviewed by Aria SNYDER on June 14.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.