Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lincoln, CA, you are going to soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 annually making it among the highest paying medical-related jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lincoln, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and select a school, it is very important to consider all of your options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be assured that you will be taught the full variety of techniques needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health concerns and disorders therefore it is really important that your schooling is very diversified instead of too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another really important factor you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to other training programs. In instances where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of the classes can vary considerably from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online training courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are often times pushed aside as students pursue their training and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you ought to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Be sure to find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Lincoln, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Therapy Health Technician
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mainly classroom instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is handled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to contain many forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate websites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who have needs that could be different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with small children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Lincoln, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lincoln, CA reviewed by Sebastian COX on June 12.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.