Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Little Chute, WI, you are going to quickly find that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually which makes it amongst the best paying medical professions that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Little Chute, WI
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to pick a school, make sure you consider all of your alternatives and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be reassured that you are going to learn about the full array of skills needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of issues and disorders making it essential that your training is very wide-ranging rather then too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another very important variable to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual practical training when compared to the others. In situations where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to find out why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of your class may vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for many of us online training courses can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are often pushed aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The last factor you ought to look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Little Chute, WI
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
Cortiva Institute School of Massage Therapy's innovative program will help you learn the art of massage therapy and introduce you to a range of career opportunities. Through a holistic approach to education, you'll be well-trained to work in clinics, hospitals, health clubs, spas, with sport teams, or to start a private practice.
Classes start November 13!
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being predominantly classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is administrated by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to contain quite a few forms to complete. Never pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted web sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will need you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who have needs that will be completely different than from the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with small children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, as there will be plenty of instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Little Chute, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Little Chute, WI reviewed by Lauren RAY on June 9.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.