After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Livingston, CA, you will probably soon find that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 annually making it right there with the best paying medical-related jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Livingston, CA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a school, make sure you analyze all of the options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain you will learn about the full variety of skills necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of ailments and disorders therefore it is really important that your schooling is very extensive rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another very important factor you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual practical experience when compared to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of your class will vary greatly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for some people online training can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family can be pushed aside while students carry on their education and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you ought to take a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many students complete the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Livingston, CA
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
At NHI you will receive hands-on training through our teaching clinic from dedicated instructors with a combined 530 years of experience as well as classroom instruction and business marketing classes. We offer daytime, evening and weekend classes to accommodate your busy schedule. It is our goal to see you learn and embrace the material and go on to have a successful career you love. Financial aid is available to those who qualify. So why wait?
- Massage Therapy/Therapist
American Career College (ACC) offers hands-on training that will prepare students for careers in the healthcare industry at three campuses in Los Angeles, Ontario, and Orange County, California. ACC's programs combine classroom lectures and hands-on training to prepare students for a Diploma or Associate of Occupational Science degree.
- Associate of Occupational Science in Respiratory Therapy
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to contain numerous forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who may have needs which may be different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, because you will encounter numerous instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Livingston, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Livingston, CA reviewed by Jason PRICE on June 9.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.