As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lockhart, TX, you should soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 yearly making it one of the highest paying health care jobs that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lockhart, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and choose a training program, be sure that you consider all of your options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be certain you will be taught the full range of skills necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health concerns and disorders so it is crucial that your training is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another very important variable to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison with other training programs. In situations where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary significantly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online training can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members can be driven aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you might like to check out before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Lockhart, TX
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the crime may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will include quite a few forms to complete. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate sites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who may have needs that may be completely different than from the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with kids who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, because you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Lockhart, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lockhart, TX reviewed by Tristan FLORES on June 11.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.