After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Madera, CA, you will soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the best paying medical occupations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Madera, CA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to pick a school, be sure that you evaluate all of your alternatives to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be reassured you will learn about the full range of competencies needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders so it is important that your training is very extensive rather then too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another very important factor you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to others. In instances where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online training courses can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household tend to be pushed aside as students pursue their schooling and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing that you have to have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Madera, CA
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain several forms to fill out. Do not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who have needs that could be different than from the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient clinic with children that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, as there will be several instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Madera, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Madera, CA reviewed by Terry ROBINSON on June 11.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.