When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Malibu, CA, you will quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it amongst the highest paying medical-related vocations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Malibu, CA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to select a school, it is important to examine all of your alternatives to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident that you will be taught the full range of competencies needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of issues and disorders so it is crucial that your training is very extensive instead of too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another very important component you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual clinical training when compared to others. In cases where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of can vary greatly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online training courses can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are often times pushed aside as students continue their schooling and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you need to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many students finish the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Malibu, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being primarily classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers will have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will include many forms to fill out. Never purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients which have needs that could be very different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, because you will have several instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Malibu, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Malibu, CA reviewed by Nicholas EDWARDS on June 13.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.