When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Marco Island, FL, you will probably soon learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year making it amongst the best paying healthcare jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Marco Island, FL
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to pick a training program, you might want to examine all of your alternatives and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident you will be taught the full variety of techniques necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of issues and disorders so it is crucial that your schooling is very diversified rather then too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual clinical training when compared to the other schools. In situations where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary considerably from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are sometimes pushed aside while students continue their schooling and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last item that you have to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Marco Island, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Mental Health Technology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
Prepare for a Career in Massage Therapy, Makeup Artistry, or Skin Care!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? Consider a career in massage therapy, makeup artistry, or skin care.
Classes start November 13!
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers will need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is controlled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to include several forms to complete. Never purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients that have needs which may be totally different than from the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with toddlers that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, as you will have several instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Marco Island, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Marco Island, FL reviewed by Ariana OLSON on June 9.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.