After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Marlborough, MA, you should quickly find that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 per year which makes it one of the best paying healthcare jobs that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Marlborough, MA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to select a school, be sure that you examine all of your options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain that you will learn about the full variety of competencies needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of issues and disorders so it is crucial that your training is very wide-ranging instead of too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another significant variable you should look at is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison to other training programs. In instances where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes may vary greatly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many people online classes can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are sometimes driven aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing you ought to examine prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are considering. Always find out how many people complete the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Marlborough, MA
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Massachusetts, licensing is administrated by the Massachusetts Board of Registration Allied Health Professions Division of Professional Licensure. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the crime may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that will contain quite a few forms to complete. Never pay for these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy websites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients which have needs which can be totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with kids who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, since there will be several instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Marlborough, MA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Marlborough, MA reviewed by Corey PATTERSON on June 8.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.