As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Marshall, MO, you are going to quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it one of the best paying medical occupations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Marshall, MO
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and pick a school, you might want to analyze all of your options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Things You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain that you will learn about the full range of techniques needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders therefore it is important that your schooling is very extensive rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another important factor to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison with others. In situations where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of the classes will vary greatly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for many of us online training courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are often times pushed aside while students continue their education and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing you need to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Marshall, MO
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being predominantly classroom training and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is administered by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will contain quite a few forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted internet sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will require you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients which have needs which may be completely different than from the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with kids who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, as there will be many instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Marshall, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Marshall, MO reviewed by Harper WEBB on June 12.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.