After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Marshfield, WI, you should quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the highest paying health care occupations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Marshfield, WI
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and pick a training program, make sure you consider all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be confident that you will learn about the full array of competencies necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders therefore it is important that your course work is very wide-ranging rather then too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, it is when you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual practical training in comparison to other schools. In cases where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary greatly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for some online training can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are frequently driven aside as students undertake their education and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing you might like to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are considering. Be sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Marshfield, WI
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being predominantly class-room training and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a healthcare facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is administered by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that is going to include a number of forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted internet sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients which have needs which can be very different the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with small children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, because there will be many instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Marshfield, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Marshfield, WI reviewed by Kayden DIAZ on June 13.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.