Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Martinsville, IN, you will probably quickly learn that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 per year which makes it among the best paying medical-related professions that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Martinsville, IN
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and decide on a school, you will need to evaluate all of the options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be certain you will be taught the full array of skills necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of issues and disorders so it is crucial that your training is very diversified rather then too focused on one particular discipline.
Another important variable you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual practical experience in comparison to other schools. In situations where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary significantly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family will often be driven aside as students undertake their schooling and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item that you have to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Make certain you find out how many people finish the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Martinsville, IN
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Trauma
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being mainly classroom training and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers will have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Indiana, licensing is administered by the Indiana Occupational Therapy Committee. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will contain a number of forms to submit. Never buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy websites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients that have needs that may be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with small children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, because there will be many instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Martinsville, IN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Martinsville, IN reviewed by Charles COOPER on June 15.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.