When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Marysville, CA, you can expect to quickly learn that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 yearly making it one of the highest paying medical-related jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Marysville, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to select a school, it is important to evaluate all of your alternatives and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be confident that you are going to learn about the full range of skills required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders so it is important that your course work is very diversified rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another significant component you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual practical experience as compared to others. In situations where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary significantly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online classes can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are often driven aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue you might like to consider prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Marysville, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Therapy Health Technician
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will contain a number of forms to complete. You should not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate internet sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will need you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who may have needs which may be different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with infants who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, because you will have many instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Marysville, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Marysville, CA reviewed by Julian MORRIS on June 9.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.