As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Maryville, MO, you will soon see that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it among the best paying medical-related occupations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Maryville, MO
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a training program, be sure that you evaluate all of the options and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you are going to be taught the full array of techniques required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of conditions and disorders therefore it is important that your course work is very extensive rather then too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another important variable to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual practical training compared to other schools. In instances where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of the classes can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Yet, for some people online training can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are oftentimes driven aside while students carry on their education and learning and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you need to examine prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Make certain you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Maryville, MO
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being predominantly class-room training and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is administered by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that is going to include several forms to complete. You should not buy these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate web sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients that have needs which may be completely different compared to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with small children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, since there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Maryville, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Maryville, MO reviewed by Allison DIXON on June 2.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.