When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Medfield, MA, you can expect to quickly learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it one of the highest paying medical careers that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Medfield, MA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are currently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and pick a training program, you might want to analyze all of your alternatives to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident you will learn about the full range of techniques needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of conditions and disorders therefore it is really important that your course work is very diverse rather then too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another important factor you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, it is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to others. In situations where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of the classes will vary considerably from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online classes can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are sometimes pushed aside as students undertake their schooling and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail that you should take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Medfield, MA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Massachusetts, licensing is administered by the Massachusetts Board of Registration Allied Health Professions Division of Professional Licensure. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to include a number of forms to submit. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many legitimate websites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who may have needs that could be totally different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with young children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, because you will encounter numerous instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Medfield, MA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Medfield, MA reviewed by Samantha STEVENS on June 7.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.