Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Menasha, WI, you are going to quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 annually making it one of the highest paying health care jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Menasha, WI
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to decide on a training program, you will need to examine all of your alternatives to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you are going to be taught the full range of competencies necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders so it is important that your course work is very extensive rather then too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual clinical training as compared to other schools. In situations where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for some people online classes can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household tend to be pushed aside while students continue their education and learning and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last factor you might like to consider prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many students finish the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Menasha, WI
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being mainly classroom instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is administrated by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will include several forms to submit. Never buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted internet sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who have needs that will be completely different compared to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Menasha, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Menasha, WI reviewed by Isabella GRAHAM on June 6.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.