After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Merrill, WI, you are going to soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the best paying medical-related vocations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Merrill, WI
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to select a training program, it is important to analyze all of the options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain that you are going to learn about the full array of competencies necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of issues and disorders so it is very important that your training is very diverse instead of too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to other schools. In instances where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of the classes can vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Yet, for some online classes can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members can be driven aside while students carry on their training and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing you might want to evaluate prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Merrill, WI
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is controlled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to include a number of forms to fill out. You should not buy these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who may have needs which are often different compared to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with kids that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Merrill, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Merrill, WI reviewed by Faith CARROLL on June 14.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.