When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Mexico, MO, you will quickly find that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually which makes it among the highest paying medical careers that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Mexico, MO
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and choose a school, it is very important to analyze all of your options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you will be taught the full variety of skills needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health problems and disorders so it is imperative that your course work is very diverse instead of too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another significant variable you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to the other training programs. In cases where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of your class may vary greatly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online classes can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are often times driven aside while students continue their education and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item that you have to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure to find out how many people complete the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Mexico, MO
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being primarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is administrated by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will include numerous forms to complete. You should not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who have needs which are often different the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with small children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, as there will be several instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Mexico, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Mexico, MO reviewed by Layla CRAWFORD on June 11.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.