When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Middlesborough, KY, you will soon learn that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 annually which makes it amongst the best paying medical occupations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Middlesborough, KY
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and decide on a training program, make sure that you consider all of the options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you will learn about the full array of competencies required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of issues and disorders therefore it is imperative that your schooling is very extensive instead of too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important factor to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison to other schools. In cases where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to find out why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of may vary greatly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many people online training courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members tend to be pushed aside as students continue their education and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you might want to take a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Always find out how many people complete the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Middlesborough, KY
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about two years, with the first year being primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Kentucky, licensing is controlled by the Kentucky Board of Licensure for Occupational Therapy. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
An individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to include numerous forms to fill out. You should not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will need you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who may have needs which are often completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with young children who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, as there will be several instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Middlesborough, KY that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Middlesborough, KY reviewed by Melanie SNYDER on June 3.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.