After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Milledgeville, GA, you can expect to soon discover that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the highest paying healthcare occupations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Milledgeville, GA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and pick a training program, be sure that you analyze all of the options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident that you are going to learn about the full range of skills required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health problems and disorders so it is very important that your course work is very wide-ranging rather then too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important component you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual practical experience when compared to the other training programs. In situations where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of will vary significantly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many of us online classes can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are frequently pushed aside while students undertake their training and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final item you should evaluate prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many people complete the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Milledgeville, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
The Salon & Spa industry offers you the personal freedom and financial rewards you deserve! You could not have chosen a better time to follow your passion. Health and Style Institute will help you develop the skills you need to be successful in this magnificent industry. Our up to the minute, interactive training will help you reach beyond your limits.
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being mainly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is controlled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the crime may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will contain several forms to submit. Do not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable internet sites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will require you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who have needs which can be very different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, as you will have several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Milledgeville, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Milledgeville, GA reviewed by Claire RICE on June 14.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.