When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Millington, TN, you will probably soon see that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it among the highest paying health care vocations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Millington, TN
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to select a school, make sure you analyze all of the options and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your requirements.
Things You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you will be taught the full array of techniques needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health conditions and disorders therefore it is really important that your schooling is very extensive instead of too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another very important component you should look at is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual clinical training when compared to other training programs. In cases where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary considerably from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for some online courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are oftentimes driven aside as students undertake their schooling and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue you need to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many people finish the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Millington, TN
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is handled by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the offense may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain several forms to fill out. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy web sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who may have needs which can be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with kids that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, since you will have several instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Millington, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Millington, TN reviewed by Lillian SIMPSON on June 15.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.