When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Mineral Wells, TX, you can expect to quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 annually making it amongst the highest paying health care jobs that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Mineral Wells, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to pick a school, be sure that you examine all of your alternatives and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident that you will be taught the full array of skills required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health conditions and disorders therefore it is essential that your course work is very extensive rather then too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another really important feature you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to others. In cases where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of your class will vary significantly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online training courses can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are oftentimes pushed aside while students continue their training and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you want to have a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make sure you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Mineral Wells, TX
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about two years, with the first year being predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to include many forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted internet sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will require you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who have needs which may be completely different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, as there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Mineral Wells, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Mineral Wells, TX reviewed by Aubrey GIBSON on June 3.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.