After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Morrisville, PA, you can expect to soon discover that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 yearly making it one of the highest paying health care jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Morrisville, PA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and pick a school, make sure that you examine all of your options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured that you will be taught the full array of techniques required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of issues and disorders so it is imperative that your schooling is very extensive and not too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another very important component you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual practical training in comparison with others. In cases where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes may vary greatly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online classes can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are sometimes pushed aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor you want to check out prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are looking at. Always find out how many people finish the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Morrisville, PA
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood Career Institute focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- M.S. in Christian Counseling of Substance Abuse and Addictive Disorders
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is administered by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the offense may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will contain several forms to fill out. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted websites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will need you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients who have needs that could be totally different the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with infants who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, as you will encounter several instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Morrisville, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Morrisville, PA reviewed by Carlos BRYANT on June 15.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.