When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Morro Bay, CA, you are going to soon find that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 yearly making it one of the highest paying medical-related jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Morro Bay, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to decide on a school, be sure that you evaluate all of your alternatives to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your requirements.
Things You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be reassured that you will be taught the full range of techniques necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health problems and disorders so it is important that your schooling is very diverse rather then too focused on one particular discipline.
Another very important component you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to other schools. In situations where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary greatly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many people online training can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are often times pushed aside while students continue their education and learning and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing you want to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Make certain you find out how many people complete the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Morro Bay, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Therapy Health Technician
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will contain several forms to fill out. You should not buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate websites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients which have needs that could be very different the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient clinic with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, as there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Morro Bay, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Morro Bay, CA reviewed by Ian WOOD on June 7.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.