As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Mount Pleasant, TX, you can expect to quickly realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it one of the highest paying healthcare occupations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Mount Pleasant, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to decide on a training program, make sure you think about all of the options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident you will be taught the full variety of competencies needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders therefore it is essential that your course work is very diversified instead of too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another important factor to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual practical experience in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for some online training can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are frequently driven aside while students continue their education and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you should look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Always find out how many people complete the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Mount Pleasant, TX
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to contain numerous forms to submit. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many legitimate web sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who may have needs which are often different the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, because there will be several instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Mount Pleasant, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Mount Pleasant, TX reviewed by Nevaeh RAMOS on June 12.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.