As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Munhall, PA, you can expect to quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it among the highest paying medical careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Munhall, PA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to decide on a training program, you will need to examine all of the options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be certain you will learn about the full range of competencies necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health problems and disorders so it is really important that your course work is very diversified rather then too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant component you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison to others. In cases where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of may vary significantly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for some people online classes can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are often times driven aside as students pursue their education and learning and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor you want to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Munhall, PA
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is administered by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will include numerous forms to submit. Never buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted internet sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who may have needs that will be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because you will have plenty of instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Munhall, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Munhall, PA reviewed by Josiah BARNES on June 12.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.