After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Neosho, MO, you will quickly discover that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 per year making it one of the highest paying medical jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Neosho, MO
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and choose a training program, make sure you examine all of your alternatives to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you will learn about the full variety of skills needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders so it is imperative that your schooling is very diverse rather then too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another very important variable you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, it is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual clinical training as compared to other training programs. In cases where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary significantly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for some people online courses can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are often times pushed aside as students carry on their education and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last item you want to take a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Always find out how many people graduate from the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Neosho, MO
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is controlled by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to include numerous forms to complete. Never buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy websites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who may have needs which are often totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with young children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, as you will encounter several instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Neosho, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Neosho, MO reviewed by Nevaeh RAMOS on June 8.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.