After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Neosho, MO, you will quickly discover that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 per year making it one of the highest paying medical jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Neosho, MO
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and choose a training program, make sure you examine all of your alternatives to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you will learn about the full variety of skills needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders so it is imperative that your schooling is very diverse rather then too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another very important variable you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, it is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual clinical training as compared to other training programs. In cases where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary significantly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for some people online courses can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are often times pushed aside as students carry on their education and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last item you want to take a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Always find out how many people graduate from the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Neosho, MO
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is controlled by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to include numerous forms to complete. Never buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy websites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who may have needs which are often totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with young children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, as you will encounter several instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Neosho, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Neosho, MO reviewed by Nevaeh RAMOS on June 8.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.