As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in New Canaan, CT, you can expect to soon discover that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year making it right there with the best paying medical vocations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in New Canaan, CT
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are currently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a training program, be sure that you analyze all of your alternatives and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be confident that you will be taught the full variety of competencies required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of issues and disorders making it very important that your schooling is very wide-ranging instead of too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual practical experience when compared to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary significantly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for many people online training courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household tend to be pushed aside while students continue their training and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor that you should look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in New Canaan, CT
- Earn a nursing degree focused on leadership & expanding technologies in healthcare
- SACS accredited with flexible options for Associate, Bachelor & Master degrees
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being primarily classroom training and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers will need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Connecticut, licensing is controlled by the Connecticut Department of Public Health Occupational Therapy Licensure. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to contain a number of forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trustworthy websites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who have needs which may be completely different than from the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with infants that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, as there will be many instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near New Canaan, CT that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in New Canaan, CT reviewed by Lucas ALLEN on June 1.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.