Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Newnan, GA, you will probably quickly find that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it one of the highest paying medical-related careers that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Newnan, GA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to pick a school, you will need to analyze all of your alternatives to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain that you are going to learn about the full variety of competencies required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of issues and disorders so it is very important that your course work is very diversified rather then too focused on one particular discipline.
Another significant feature you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual practical training when compared to other schools. In cases where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary significantly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for some people online courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family can be pushed aside as students undertake their training and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final item you need to consider before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Newnan, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a healthcare facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is administrated by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that will include quite a few forms to submit. Do not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted websites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who have needs that could be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Newnan, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Newnan, GA reviewed by Arianna DANIELS on June 16.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.