Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Niles, IL, you can expect to soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it one of the best paying medical careers that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Niles, IL
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and pick a school, be sure that you analyze all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain that you will be taught the full array of skills necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health concerns and disorders therefore it is important that your training is very diversified instead of too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another significant variable you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, it is when you actually interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual clinical training when compared to the others. In cases where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of will vary greatly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for some people online courses can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are often times pushed aside as students pursue their education and learning and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing you ought to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many trainees complete the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Niles, IL
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Judson University promises to help adult learners succeed with a loving community and quality education. Our Adult and Graduate programs provide adult learners with a strong, values-centered environment in which to achieve their educational and career goals. By achieving these goals, learners keep the promises they make to themselves, family, and other important people in their lives.
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers will need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Illinois, licensing is handled by the Illinois Occupational Therapy Board. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will include many forms to complete. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many reputable websites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients which have needs which may be different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with kids who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, as you will encounter many instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Niles, IL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Niles, IL reviewed by Walter BAKER on June 17.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.