Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Northborough, MA, you will probably quickly see that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it among the highest paying medical-related jobs that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Northborough, MA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a training program, make sure you examine all of the options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be assured you will learn about the full range of skills necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health conditions and disorders so it is essential that your schooling is very diverse instead of too focused on one particular discipline.
Another really important factor you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, it is where you will interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to others. In situations where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of the classes can vary considerably from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for some people online courses can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are oftentimes driven aside as students undertake their schooling and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail that you should examine before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many people graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Northborough, MA
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Massachusetts, licensing is handled by the Massachusetts Board of Registration Allied Health Professions Division of Professional Licensure. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain quite a few forms to fill out. You should not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate internet sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients that have needs which can be completely different compared to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient facility with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Northborough, MA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Northborough, MA reviewed by Ava WALLACE on June 9.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.