As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Norwalk, OH, you will quickly realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 per year making it among the best paying medical careers that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Norwalk, OH
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and pick a training program, make sure you examine all of your alternatives and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be confident you will learn about the full array of skills necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders so it is crucial that your course work is very extensive and not too focused on one particular discipline.
Another very important component you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual practical experience as compared to other training programs. In instances where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary considerably from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for some people online courses can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family tend to be pushed aside as students continue their schooling and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you might want to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Norwalk, OH
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Professional Skills Institute provides industry-modeled, hands-on medical training to prepare graduates for a new career as a Medical Office Assistant, Medical Billing and Coding Specialist, or Pharmacy Technician.
You could start your healthcare career in less time than you think! PSI is the choice for healthcare training that leads to employment.
- Physical Therapist Assistant
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom training and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Ohio, licensing is administrated by the Ohio Occupational Therapy Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainers Board. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that will include quite a few forms to complete. You should not buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate internet sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who may have needs which can be totally different than from the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, as you will encounter many instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Norwalk, OH that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Norwalk, OH reviewed by Sophia FORD on June 13.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.