When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Oak Park, IL, you can expect to soon discover that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the highest paying health care jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Oak Park, IL
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a school, it is important to consider all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program thatfulfills all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be assured that you will be taught the full range of techniques required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders making it imperative that yourschooling is very diversified instead of too focused on one particular discipline.
Another very important component you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you will interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schoolsallocate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experiencein comparison to other schools. In cases where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes will varyconsiderably from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many of us online courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household can be pushed aside while students pursue their schooling and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last item that you should look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure to find out how many students complete the program, what their opinions were , and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Oak Park, IL
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting ofmostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent working onhands on instruction in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics , gerontology,medical jargon , and physical therapy. All States that require licensure onlycall for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapistlaunched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers mustbecome certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Illinois, licensing is handled by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of themand can include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be reviewedand be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will includea number of forms to fill out. You should not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy sites . It is advised to take a very detailed look through theforms before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcriptsnecessary ; notarized signatures and many States will require you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who may have needsthat may be very different in comparison to the previous patient . You might be working for an outpatient clinic with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills , a couple of the basics including following direction , keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because there will beseveral instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Oak Park, IL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Oak Park, IL reviewed by Lydia AUSTIN on June 9.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.