As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Oakdale, CA, you will soon find that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 per year making it right there with the highest paying health care vocations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Oakdale, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and pick a training program, be sure that you analyze all of your alternatives and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured you will learn about the full array of techniques needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of issues and disorders making it really important that your training is very wide-ranging rather then too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another important component you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual clinical training as compared to other schools. In situations where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of your class will vary considerably from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for many people online classes can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family tend to be pushed aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you might want to consider before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many students complete the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Oakdale, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Therapy Health Technician
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a hospital facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administrated by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will include a number of forms to fill out. You should not buy these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients that have needs that could be totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, because you will encounter many instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Oakdale, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Oakdale, CA reviewed by Ryan HALL on June 16.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.