When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Oceanside, CA, you can expect to quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistantpay is greater than $53,000 annually making it amongthe highest paying medical vocations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Oceanside, CA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a school, make sure you evaluate all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program thatfits all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be reassured that you are going to learn about the full variety of competencies necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health conditions and disorders so it is crucial that yourcourse work is very diverse rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another important feature you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schoolsallocate considerably more time on your actual clinical experienceas compared to others. In cases where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of the classes will varygreatly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for some online courses can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are often driven aside as students pursue their education and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor you ought to check out before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their assessments were , and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Oceanside, CA
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year beingprimarily classroom instruction and with the second year spent going throughhands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics , gerontology,clinical jargon , and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simplycall for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapistlaunched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and facts
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers have tobecome licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensure is controlled by the Board of Occupational Therapy. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of themand include the following.
An individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be evaluatedand be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that is going to containnumerous forms to submit. Never buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable sites . It is important to take a very detailed look through thepaper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcriptsrequired ; notarized signatures and several States will need you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients that have needswhich can be completely different in comparison to the previous patient . You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills , a couple of the basics such as following direction , keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, as you will encountermany instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Oceanside, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Oceanside, CA reviewed by Christopher LEWIS on June 9.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.