When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Oconomowoc, WI, you will probably soon discover that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 yearly making it right there with the best paying healthcare professions that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Oconomowoc, WI
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and select a training program, you might want to evaluate all of the options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured you will be taught the full array of techniques required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of ailments and disorders so it is very important that your course work is very diversified instead of too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another really important component you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual clinical training when compared to the others. In cases where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of the classes may vary considerably from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for many of us online training can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are often times driven aside while students carry on their schooling and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you ought to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many people finish the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Oconomowoc, WI
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is controlled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to include a number of forms to submit. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will need you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who may have needs that could be completely different than from the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with children that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, because you will encounter several instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Oconomowoc, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Oconomowoc, WI reviewed by Kylie DUNN on June 16.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.