When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Oldsmar, FL, you can expect to soon discover that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 annually making it one of the best paying medical-related vocations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Oldsmar, FL
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a training program, it is very important to think about all of your options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be confident that you will learn about the full array of techniques needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of issues and disorders therefore it is crucial that your schooling is very diversified rather then too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another important factor you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, it is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual clinical training in comparison with other training programs. In situations where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of can vary greatly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for some people online classes can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are often times pushed aside while students undertake their schooling and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor you need to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Oldsmar, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers will need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is controlled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will include many forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy web sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who have needs which may be totally different than from the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with toddlers that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Oldsmar, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Oldsmar, FL reviewed by London SIMS on June 11.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.