When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Orange, TX, you should quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 annually which makes it amongst the best paying medical-related jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Orange, TX
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a training program, you might want to analyze all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured you will be taught the full variety of techniques needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of issues and disorders making it important that your course work is very extensive instead of too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant factor to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual practical experience in comparison with other training programs. In situations where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for many people online training can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are oftentimes pushed aside as students carry on their education and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue you want to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Orange, TX
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom training and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain a number of forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many reputable web sites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who may have needs which are often completely different compared to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with young children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, because there will be numerous instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Orange, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Orange, TX reviewed by Abigail COLE on June 8.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.