After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Oroville, CA, you should quickly see that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it one of the best paying healthcare professions that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Oroville, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and pick a training program, make sure that you evaluate all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be reassured that you will be taught the full variety of techniques needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of ailments and disorders therefore it is imperative that your training is very diversified and not too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another important feature you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, it is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual practical experience as compared to other training programs. In instances where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of can vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online training courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are oftentimes driven aside as students undertake their schooling and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing you might want to take a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Oroville, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will contain a number of forms to submit. Never purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many legitimate internet sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients who may have needs that could be very different compared to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with toddlers who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter numerous instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Oroville, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Oroville, CA reviewed by Henry ROBERTS on June 1.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.