When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Overland, MO, you will probably soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 yearly making it amongst the highest paying health care vocations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Overland, MO
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and choose a training program, you might want to evaluate all of your options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be confident you will be taught the full variety of competencies necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders therefore it is very important that your course work is very extensive rather then too focused on a particular discipline.
Another really important feature you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual practical experience when compared to other training programs. In situations where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of can vary considerably from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for many people online classes can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are frequently pushed aside while students continue their training and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail that you should check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Overland, MO
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers will need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is administrated by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the crime may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will contain a number of forms to submit. Never buy these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who have needs that could be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with infants who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, because you will encounter plenty of instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Overland, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Overland, MO reviewed by Ella FISHER on June 6.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.