Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Palatka, FL, you are going to soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 yearly making it amongst the highest paying healthcare careers that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Palatka, FL
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and decide on a training program, you will need to think about all of your alternatives to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident that you will learn about the full array of techniques required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health problems and disorders therefore it is crucial that your course work is very wide-ranging rather then too focused on a particular discipline.
Another significant component you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, it is when you will interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison with others. In instances where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes will vary significantly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online training can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are often driven aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing that you should consider before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Palatka, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapy Assistant
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Mental Health Technology
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Prepare for a Career in Massage Therapy, Makeup Artistry, or Skin Care!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? Consider a career in massage therapy, makeup artistry, or skin care.
Classes start November 13!
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being mostly classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to include many forms to fill out. Never pay for these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many legitimate sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients which have needs which may be totally different compared to the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with kids who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because you will have many instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Palatka, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Palatka, FL reviewed by Maya GARDNER on June 2.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.