As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Palestine, TX, you will soon find that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually making it among the best paying health care professions that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Palestine, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to decide on a training program, you will need to examine all of your alternatives to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident that you are going to learn about the full variety of techniques necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health concerns and disorders therefore it is essential that your training is very extensive instead of too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another really important factor you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to the other training programs. In cases where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to think about is the class size. The size of your class may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online classes can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are oftentimes pushed aside as students continue their schooling and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor you want to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many people complete the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Palestine, TX
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being mainly classroom training and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers will have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is handled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will contain a number of forms to complete. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy web sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients which have needs that could be totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with small children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, as you will have numerous instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Palestine, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Palestine, TX reviewed by Chloe REYNOLDS on June 11.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.