As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Palmetto, FL, you should quickly discover that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 per year making it amongst the highest paying health care jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Palmetto, FL
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to select a school, it is very important to analyze all of the options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident that you are going to be taught the full array of competencies required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health conditions and disorders so it is important that your course work is very extensive rather then too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another significant factor you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual practical training in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of the classes will vary significantly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for some online classes can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are frequently pushed aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing you might want to evaluate prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Palmetto, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administered by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
A person seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will include numerous forms to submit. Do not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will need you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients which have needs which can be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient facility with infants that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, since you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Palmetto, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Palmetto, FL reviewed by Skylar ARMSTRONG on June 1.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.