As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Palos Verdes Estates, CA, you should quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the highest paying health care vocations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Palos Verdes Estates, CA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and select a training program, you will need to evaluate all of your alternatives and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be certain you will be taught the full variety of competencies needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health problems and disorders so it is imperative that your training is very diversified and not too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another very important variable you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of will vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are sometimes driven aside as students pursue their education and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item that you should consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are considering. Make certain you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Palos Verdes Estates, CA
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
At NHI you will receive hands-on training through our teaching clinic from dedicated instructors with a combined 530 years of experience as well as classroom instruction and business marketing classes. We offer daytime, evening and weekend classes to accommodate your busy schedule. It is our goal to see you learn and embrace the material and go on to have a successful career you love. Financial aid is available to those who qualify. So why wait?
- Massage Therapy/Therapist
American Career College (ACC) offers hands-on training that will prepare students for careers in the healthcare industry at three campuses in Los Angeles, Ontario, and Orange County, California. ACC's programs combine classroom lectures and hands-on training to prepare students for a Diploma or Associate of Occupational Science degree.
- Associate of Occupational Science in Respiratory Therapy
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will include a number of forms to fill out. You should not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted web sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients that have needs that will be totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with infants who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Palos Verdes Estates, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Palos Verdes Estates, CA reviewed by Owen GONZALEZ on June 16.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.