After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Parkland, FL, you can expect to soon learn that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the highest paying medical-related vocations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Parkland, FL
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to pick a training program, make sure that you consider all of your options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident you will be taught the full variety of competencies needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders therefore it is crucial that your schooling is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another significant component to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual practical experience when compared to the other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of may vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online training courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are often times pushed aside as students undertake their education and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing you want to examine prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Parkland, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being mostly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administrated by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to include numerous forms to fill out. You should not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted websites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who have needs that will be totally different the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, as you will encounter numerous instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Parkland, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Parkland, FL reviewed by Caroline BRADLEY on June 17.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.