After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Parkland, FL, you can expect to soon learn that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the highest paying medical-related vocations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Parkland, FL
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to pick a training program, make sure that you consider all of your options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident you will be taught the full variety of competencies needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders therefore it is crucial that your schooling is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another significant component to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual practical experience when compared to the other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of may vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online training courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are often times pushed aside as students undertake their education and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing you want to examine prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Parkland, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being mostly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administrated by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to include numerous forms to fill out. You should not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted websites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who have needs that will be totally different the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, as you will encounter numerous instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Parkland, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Parkland, FL reviewed by Caroline BRADLEY on June 17.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.