After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Parkland, FL, you can expect to soon learn that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the highest paying medical-related vocations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Parkland, FL
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to pick a training program, make sure that you consider all of your options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident you will be taught the full variety of competencies needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders therefore it is crucial that your schooling is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another significant component to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual practical experience when compared to the other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of may vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online training courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are often times pushed aside as students undertake their education and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing you want to examine prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Parkland, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being mostly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administrated by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to include numerous forms to fill out. You should not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted websites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who have needs that will be totally different the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, as you will encounter numerous instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Parkland, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Parkland, FL reviewed by Caroline BRADLEY on June 17.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.