When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Patterson, CA, you will probably soon discover that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it one of the best paying medical-related professions that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Patterson, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and pick a training program, make sure that you evaluate all of the options and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain that you are going to learn about the full array of techniques necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of issues and disorders therefore it is crucial that your course work is very extensive instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another important variable you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual practical experience compared to others. In instances where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary considerably from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many of us online classes can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are oftentimes driven aside while students undertake their training and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue that you should evaluate before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Patterson, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Therapy Health Technician
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the offense may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain a number of forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate web sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients which have needs that could be different compared to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient facility with kids who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Patterson, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Patterson, CA reviewed by Connor MURPHY on June 17.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.