After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Pewaukee, WI, you will soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the highest paying medical-related vocations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Pewaukee, WI
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to decide on a school, you might want to examine all of your alternatives and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be assured you will be taught the full variety of skills required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders so it is very important that your course work is very diverse rather then too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant variable you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience compared to other schools. In instances where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of your class may vary greatly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online classes can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are oftentimes pushed aside as students continue their education and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you need to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Be sure you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Pewaukee, WI
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Cortiva Institute School of Massage Therapy's innovative program will help you learn the art of massage therapy and introduce you to a range of career opportunities. Through a holistic approach to education, you'll be well-trained to work in clinics, hospitals, health clubs, spas, with sport teams, or to start a private practice.
Classes start November 13!
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is administered by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will include quite a few forms to fill out. Never purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who have needs which may be completely different compared to the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with kids that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, because there will be plenty of instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Pewaukee, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Pewaukee, WI reviewed by Maya GARDNER on June 16.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.