After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Piedmont, CA, you will soon discover that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 yearly which makes it among the highest paying medical vocations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Piedmont, CA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and pick a school, make sure that you examine all of the options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured that you will be taught the full range of skills required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of health concerns and disorders therefore it is imperative that your training is very diversified rather then too focused on a particular discipline.
Another important feature you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison to other schools. In situations where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of your class can vary greatly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some people online training can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family tend to be driven aside while students continue their training and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item you ought to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many students complete the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Piedmont, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Therapy Health Technician
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain quite a few forms to complete. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients which have needs which can be totally different the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with toddlers who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, since you will have plenty of instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Piedmont, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Piedmont, CA reviewed by Ayden GRAY on June 5.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.