Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Pinecrest, FL, you are going to soon find that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 yearly making it among the best paying healthcare vocations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Pinecrest, FL
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy School. There are presently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and pick a training program, you might want to think about all of the options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be assured you will learn about the full array of skills necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of conditions and disorders therefore it is important that your schooling is very diversified instead of too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another very important component you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical training compared to other schools. In instances where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of your class may vary greatly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many of us online courses can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family tend to be pushed aside while students undertake their education and learning and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor that you have to look into prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are considering. Make certain you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Pinecrest, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will contain several forms to submit. You should not buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who have needs which can be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with infants that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, as you will have many instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Pinecrest, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Pinecrest, FL reviewed by Aubree PERKINS on June 9.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.